9 Secrets of Exceptional Longevity
Exceptionally long lived people around the world have these 9 things in common.
In that book, he identified regions around the world where people live exceptionally long lives. These regions include Icaria in Greece, Sardinia in Italy, Okinawa in Japan, Nicoya in Costa Rica, and Loma Linda in the US.
Dan called these regions Blue Zones. In his book, he describes the following 9 things that helped these people live exceptionally long and healthy lives:
1. They have moderate, regular physical activity woven into their lives that nudge them into moving every 20-minutes or so by getting around their town to take care of daily necessities.
2. They can articulate their life purpose, their main reason to live.
The Okinawans call it ikigai, and the Nicoyans call it plan de vida.
3. They have daily rituals that help them live relatively low stress lives.
4. They only consume moderate amounts of calories per day, and they stop eating before they are completely full.
5. Their diet mostly consists of whole grains, tubers, nuts, legumes, beans and greens, with very few animal products.
6. They consume very little, if any, alcohol.
7. They have active and integrated family lives.
8. They are engaged in religious, and spiritual community activities.
9. They were born into or joined committed circles of devoted friends and are embedded in regular, active, and highly supportive social communities